Another Satisfied Customer

"The Tarp" by Ahava Hopps Brooke


I made a wedding quilt for my brother-in-law and sister-in-law, Alex and Jen. The bride requested hand quilting. I said sure - but made sure she knew it would take a while. I think they got their wedding present two years after their wedding. It ended up being a king-sized top but then I wacked it down to a super queen. It was so big that it earned the name "The Tarp". It consisted of whites with primarily batiks. This will be the last primarily batik quilt I hand quilt. Ugh. I love the look of batiks but they are so hard to hand quilt.

I knew it was well-received when I got this photo from Alex. He assures me that this image was not posed in any way. He came in and found one of their cat babies just like this. There's something about cats and quilts, I think. Mine seem to have a marked preference for quilts even over equally soft items. Like my cashmere and silk shawl was laying on the arm of our velvet armchair. But the cat, Honey, was on the quilt.

Here's a picture of Honey. He's a full blooded Persian from a rescue situation. A cat breeder had sadly become a cat collector. So he and his half siblings were slowly and gently removed from the collector's home. We like to think of it as the "mosh pit". We envision a swarm of red Persians running down the hall like one giant moving carpet. In any case, all's well that ends well. Honey is very content and loving life.


Comments

Tonya Ricucci said…
I LOVE that top pic - fabulous. Don't give up on all batiks for hand quilting, I've found some that are just fine. Avoid Hoffman. Take a needle with you to the fabric store and try needling the fabric - you might find some are just fine.

Popular Posts