Mardal and Hougs Quilt

This beauty was shown at the recent Long Beach Quilt festival. I have also previously seen this quilt at one of the Houstons.

It is a beauty. I believe that its a hand painted whole cloth quilt.


"Juggling with the Flowers"
by Inge Mardal and Steen Hougs


Back detail: notice the little larvae on the "undersides" of the leaves on the back of the quilt. These were appliqued on after the piece was quilted. I love this humor!

I also really enjoy the extensive machine quilting. I myself am a hand quilter. I love the little puckered lines of hand quilting on my quilts. However, this is a great use of machine quilting. You could never hand quilt this densely. I think the rhythmic lines of machine quilting add a nice texture like the veins on leaves.



Maybe some day I will get a machine that helps me machine quilt. I don't think my Pfaff Quilt Expression 2044 is that machine. It doesn't do good machine quilting for me. A friend of my who does fantastic machine quilting has the same machine and is unsatisfied with the machine quilting this model does. One of my instructors at Long Beach gave us the tip that the Bernina BSR was not all that it was cracked up to be. She also said that the number one thing that helped her quilting was a large quilt table with the machine mounted flush.

Comments

Popular Posts