Hand Quilting

I am working on quilting, really I am. I am in the process of handquilting a feathered star quilt - queen sized. And since I decided to quilt-in-the-ditch around all of the 1/2 inch feathers I will be quilting on it a while. Like I have 1/2 the quilt done and expect to hand quilt for another year.

My dilemma is that I love to do hand quilting. I prefer the delicate dotted texture of hand quilting over machine quilting. Of course, I love high-quality machine quilting. I just can't do it. And even if I could I love the quiet meditative time of laying down a perfect-ish line of stitches.

The problem is that I work queen sized and that means it takes 1-2 years to hand quilt my quilts. That means a very slow production line.

For now, I have no answers. The problem is then I have a large backlog of projects in my head.

And there's nothing new to post on my blog.

Are there any other hand quilters out there? Any at all?

Comments

Holly said…
Yes, I'm here! But my work is so-so. The quilt I'm handquilting now I started years ago so I have vastly improved since then thus it looks like two different people have handquilted on it. I just want to do the minimum and get it out of my UFO pile. It's a reminder to me to handquilt start to finish next time before my skills improve again and cause me to no longer want the quilt. I do love handquilting, though.
Miri said…
I both hand quilt and machine quilt-I started machine quilting because I couldn't take the pile of quilt tops in the closet. I've been handquilting a long time and love the look - I just save it now for best quilts.

Popular Posts