Xeriscape - not Zeroscape

Southern California faces an acute water shortage. I am expecting mandatory water conservation this summer. I have also been wishing for plants that are more self-sufficient and happy in our climate. This follows my goal of making my life "a machine for art creation".

I still want pretty plants. So here's what I'm doing:
  • The "ground cover" roses by the Crepe Myrtle trees are going to go.
  • The white "Iceberg" roses in the front garden are going to go too. (They've been plagued with powdery mildew anyway.)
  • Replace Iceberg with 3 large growing lavender bushes. I can buy $2 pots that will become shrubs. I'm thinking "Goodwin Creek" lavender if I can find it.
  • Reduce the number of roses in the back rose patch to essentials.
  • Move the dwarf fig tree to the rose patch: consolidating higher water needs together.
  • Replace the side bed with Westringia and Pomegranate trees (cultivar "Wonderful").
  • Consider a few trailing rosemary plants for the slope as a ground cover. $2 pots become large pretty plants.

Eventually I'd love to hire a professional xeriscape landscaper for the back yard. Until then, small changes will make for a happier, more drought tolerate yard. And a lot can be done just with small, affordable herb pots.

Comments

Popular Posts