Another Walter story


Walter told me the story of how he first met Marcel Duchamp.

He was a young high school student studying in the library in the home of Louise and Walter Arensberg. A gnome of a man entered the library and said "we'll meet again" and then disappeared.

When Walter was a young art curator he put a bit of white shoe polish in his hair, he said so he would look older than he was so he would be trusted more. He was a curator at the Pasadena Museum of Art. He was preparing the Marcel Duchamp retrospective. (This is a photo I took this winter of what was the Pasadena Art Museum in Walter's time. It is now the Pacific Asian Museum.)

Upon seeing Walter, Marcel said "and so we meet again."

Comments

I love your art work, and glad to see you in a rewarding career. I knew a Ahava back in the early 1980's, and helped her move to San Francisco. If you are her, and I would love reconnect. You can reach me at: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn
And see what I am up to at: http://atomicpub.com/
Roger L. James, the one who liked collecting antique books, and playing to much D & D.

Popular Posts