Cliche-free Nursing

Hospice nursing gives me the opportunity to be authentic to people in crisis. I love it. And it's emotionally draining. I dislike cliches in communication to patients and families.

"Every day is a gift".

Is that really helpful to say to hospice patients and families? To quote Walter, "wrong, wrong, wrong!" I believe that what that is saying really is:

"I'm uncomfortable with your pain."

I think that cliches close communication down.

For me, the only way to stay productive is by intentionally restoring myself on days that I don't work. Hugging cats, hugging my husband, doing art, meditating on nature.

One couldn't tell it from this blog but I've been very active in art. Lately mostly metalsmithing. Silver is over $30 an ounce and gold costs more than platinum! As I said to a colleague and friend, "is it any wonder that while taking care of dying people I'm filling my studio with sterling silver sweet peas that never die?"

Long live art!

Comments

Popular Posts