bittersweet

studio bench right before final packing

it is a bittersweet moment to do the final packing of my metalsmithing bench. i have been so, so happy here. it's been my little sweet island of peace and creativity amidst what turned out to have been a particularly crazy year.

the handpiece is a Foredom pink handpiece that Tom encouraged me to buy. just to please me. my silver aluminum one was perfectly serviceable, but he knew the pink would tickle my sense of fancy. he's right. and he's that kind of guy.

also pictured are some unfinished pieces in wax - sketches actually. they may never grow into real metal pieces. a solid chunk of copper - a base that Tom was going to fix for me for a sculpture if i liked it. (turned out i wanted stainless steel instead - but this copper will find a home i'm sure).

and not to forget the three sand dollars that i picked up from Coronado beach. i have loved that beach. and the sand dollars always seemed like friends i could commune with on my studio bench.

i will have to wait for pro shippers to send my beautiful maple bench to join me in North Carolina - where trees grow wild. and then, new memories will lace with the bittersweet old ones and send their savor into studio like pine sap burning...

Comments

Popular Posts