The Gold Standard

 I have been working with silversmithing since the (gulp) 1990s.  I couldn't afford to work in gold as an art student at San Francisco State University. I didn't have the money to purchase the equipment to work as a metalsmith as a new graduate in the 1990s either.

Now it's 2023? Where does the time go?

I now have a state-of-the-art metalsmithing studio with all the bells and whistles. I can cast, fabricate, mill my own stock. I have a Smith minitorch that I love.

My latest aspiration is to create work that is worthy of casting in 18K gold - "The Gold Standard". Note I didn't say that I necessarily would cast it in gold. The spot cost of gold today, this minute is:

Price Of Gold
Gold Price per Ounce:1,923.78+13.85


However, I found an alloy of 18K gold that I love from my refinery. It's buttery and so malleable. It's a treat to work in gold. I am grateful I learned to work in silver - much more obstinate than gold. As one friend said "gold does what you tell it to". 

--

I have transitioned my primary art activity to metalsmithing. There is not time in my week for more than one activity while I still work as a fulltime registered nurse. Rather than start a new blog, I am honoring my entire life, my entire artistic journey. I am saying "and" not "or". 

And, who knows? When I retire maybe there's room for a quilt or two in my future. I still have my fabric stash until that day.

Be well,

Ahava

Comments

Popular Posts