A Weekend in LA

"We lived that photo." - Caroline

Going to LA is the nearest thing I have to going to a hometown. I lived in Pasadena in my uncle's house for a while. When I lived there it was a beautiful wreck. Now, under the artful and refined taste of Caroline the house is emerging from mists and dreams to be the Arts and Crafts homestead it should be. Watching this house be reborn is like witnessing an awaking of a loved one from a coma.

We went to a recreation, only for this last weekend, of the Ferus gallery my uncle Walter and Edward Kienholz founded. The exterior sign had been recreated perfectly. A collection of artists' work from the period was installed. It was moving to see how prescient my uncle was. I loved being there, walking though the gallery space on the concrete floors with the tall white ceilings. If felt like touching history - connecting to my my late uncle and knowing him a little better - to be in the space he walked through, envisioned, and the artists he supported.

Then we went to an art opening of Joe Goode at Bergamot Station, one of my favorite places to see gallery art in LA. My favorite piece at Goode's show was a misty night photograph of green lights with a full moon in the upper left side. I spoke to the artist and he said the green light means "Go!" and he said it with optimism and enthusiasm. The night of the opening was a wolf full moon - the moon closest to earth all year. And there was mist. As Caroline said - we lived that photo that night.

Comments

Popular Posts