Winter Pomegranates

It was 75 degrees yesterday when I took this photo of my pomegranate tree. This pome is up high. I left some pomegrantes on the tree for the birds. I loved how this split open. On a higher resolution of this photo you can see the pomegrante seeds like translucent garnet beads. I love pomegranate trees. I love their flashy red-orange flowers (not a usual favorite color of mine) in spring. I especially love them in fall around Thanksgiving when fat, red globes of pomegrantes bend the branches. And now in "winter" in San Diego I get to enjoy a deciduous tree, the light grey bark. It helps me feel that I have some sense of "seasons" in this endless summerland.

This is not to complain of our weather. Just having grown up in Wisconsin I still feel vaguely disoriented. I have to think - oh, it's January so that means it's winter. 75 degrees just doesn't match up with winter even though I've been in California 20 years.

The same day I had purchased new William Morris fabric! It was a triple play: William Morris fabric, as designed by Barbara Brackman, for Moda. I've collected William Morris for the past 10 years and was thrilled to find a new line to add to my stash. I've made three quilts with a lot of William Morris. (One of them is Caroline's quilt already posted in this blog).

There's a connection here between the love for William Morris and pomegranates. I have in the back of my head the desire to do a quilt homage to my beloved pomegranates. It is mulling around in my head for now.

BTW: for any William Morris fans. I got my fabric from a local quilt shop Cozy Quilts. They were very pleasant; shopping should be fun and it was. I bought four cuts because they had four bolts that I liked. Then I wondered if there was MORE. You know the whole quilt-addiction, "fabric tolerance" thing - need more fabric for the same buzz. So I found more of the new line online at Quilt Basket.

Comments

Popular Posts