Scrap-eater: Stargazey Butterfliez


I have been inspired by spring: spring cleaning, soft, moist spring air, spring flowers, and organizing scraps. Also, I really love giving away baby quilts. It occurred to me that the Stargazey Butterfliez pattern was an admirable project to eat up various scraps while making a cute baby quilt. I’m actually making three at once. It’s always good to have one in the bag when it’s needed.

I am grateful to Jan Mullen for her loose and fun patterns. They give me an antidote to my usual obsessive-compulsive disorder method of quilting. (I.E., how many ¾” half-square triangles can I fit on this feathered star…”)

I am trying to eat up batiks because I decided never to hand quilt another batik quilt. Baby quilts – little ones! – are all that I’m competent to machine quilt. (Diane Gaudynski will never face any competition from me!)

Although Smokey is my quilt inspector general, Honey plays a role in quilting. Honey particularly delights in tearing through a layout of blocks on the living room floor and sending them flying. He’s a deconstructivist. Here’s Honey looking innocent on some blocks I’m playing with.

It is so benign and peaceful to piece colorful, playful baby quilts – the perfect remedy after a shift of oncology quilting. I had a tough day yesterday. I have a tough but beautiful job.

Comments

Unknown said…
What a beautiful, life-affirming project. Wow.
Carin said…
Your buterflies are wonderful!!!!

Popular Posts