Art that Illuminates the Dark Spaces

I was listening to To the Best of Our Knowledge's podcast on sadness.

I was struck by the beauty of the art of Michael Nye. He photographed people with mental illness and also documented their words - a part of their stories. I think this work is some of the most moving art work that I have seen recently. The photos are formally elegant and sometimes elegiac. The subjects' words are unforgettable.

Michael Nye's art is holding a candle in some of humanity's dark rooms. He illuminates. He invites us to join with our fellow people. He invites us to witness. To honor.

I believe that work like his illustrates the true transformational power of art.

Comments

Rosalyn Manesse said…
I peeked at Michael Nye, and the pictures really are very moving. I find that quilting is an art--it can be quite spontaneous. Love the placemats.

Popular Posts