What Would Ed Kienholz Do?

My uncle, Walter Hopps, would tell me in our innumerable phone conversations
"Don't forget about your art, Ahava."

The tone of voice was what I imagine to be like the pronouncement of God talking to Moses. But lovingly. But definitely a commandment.

I often had excuses:
  • I didn't have a studio table
  • I didn't have a separate room to work w/ messy sculpture stuff
  • I was broke
  • I didn't have a torch currently

I was not excused by Walter. He would tell me that Ed Kienholz moved frequently and could have a studio up "in no time".

I recently had a friend over for tea and a studio visit. I had a moment (well, many moments) of concerns about the state of my studio. You know, there's probably about 20 yards of fabric in a hodge podge on the floor right now. Not to mention the other pieces piled on every available horizontal surface.

Then I had an idea:
What would Ed Kienholz do?

I really can't imagine this fabulous sculptor giving a rat's *** if his studio was "picked up enough" for a visit.

Maybe this is a girl thing that we have. I love the idea of
A Room of Her Own

But it's best if I start examining the barriers to doing my art. Time to demolish the barriers. Time to give a rodent's glute about the little stuff.

My own recent idea was that I needed to make my life:
A machine made for quilting and sculpture.

I work my amazing "day job" as an oncology nurse and help my patients & families. But when I'm done. I'm done. I belong to art (and my family, of course).

I loved the inspiration of seeing Ed Kienholz and my uncle doing all the crazy, genius things they did in the recent documentary, The Cool School.

O.K. Walter, I'm not forgetting about my art!!!

Comments

Popular Posts