Greene Brothers: Arts and Crafts Masters

Yesterday I saw an exhibition of Greene and Greene exhibition at the Huntington Library, Art Collections and Botanical Gardens in San Marino, CA. The show included furniture, drawings, stained glass, and photographs of the houses they designed. Anyone who loves architecture and/or the arts and crafts movement would love this show. It's best seen in person but I've included a link to the online show here.


Ebony and Teak Bench from the Blacker House designed by Greene & Greene and made by Peter and John Hall

I do appreciate Wright. But I definitely prefer Greene & Greene. One of their masterpieces is the Gamble House.

I love having and living with beautifully made hand crafted objects. I think that's what makes me a quilter. I must admit that I find Greene & Greene a little too beautiful for me to live with in comfort. (I think about all those little scratches left by cat claws as they walk around.)

I also enjoyed my LA visit for the great artists I got to see. I came back completely inspired. I want to do some bronzes now. So I imagine that I'll be "booting up" my waxer and getting to it. I have something to say and sculpture is the only way I can say some of these things. It's my vision. My life experience. I want to leave an artifact of it in my art.

Comments

Anonymous said…
What luck for me that you went to this show. Thank you for the link. I am a big A & C fan-I really appreciate the ideals of the movement.

I have been reading your blog for a while now and appreciate your postings. Thank you again.

Libby Fife

Popular Posts