monoprint

i have had requests from friends who want to see more of my art. this is a reasonable request - especially since this is a blog about my art for the most part. the challenge is that i never show works-in-progress. however, i am comfortable with sharing some older works.

this is a piece called "monoprint". it's in copper, brass, and nickle. it's etched, reticulated, stamped, and roller textured. the poem is written by me. i produced it when i was in art school at San Francisco State University. when i showed my uncle, Walter Hopps, this piece he said it was good and to "make 5-6 like these as quick as you can". like a suite, he said. so i did. when you get art advice from Walter Hopps - it's good to take it. [smile]

this snapshot is shown on my new beloved solid maple metalsmithing bench. in the background is a beautiful quartersawn oak tool chest that my husband bought me for my birthday (without me asking). he just saw me looking at these chests in antique stores and bought me one as a surprise. (i'm such a lucky woman.)
this piece resonates greatly with me today. for one thing, my nonferrous metal sculpture is currently exploding. i will pick up today from my goldsmith the casting of the finest metal sculpture that i believe i have done to date. and i sit this morning with coffee and biscotti and carve the next one. life is sweet. bright blessings to all.
here's the text of the poem
- monoprint -
each psyche, each person
is an inked zinc plate
ready to become
a monoprint.
first impression is a
print. second impression
is a ghost.
i looked down and saw
the ghost
of your impression
upon my psyche
before i met you.
we are changing
and every morning-
after-rumpled-sheet
impresses something new
upon us.
but you and i
scratch/curious
about the eachother
we see in ourselves.

Comments

Popular Posts