Houston - more

I should know better than to buy fabric in November at Houston IQF for a December Christmas present. Back then it seemed like enough time. Now it seems insane. I find that when I quilt on a schedule it becomes much less enjoyable.

I'm working on placemats - both for the present and for me. Maybe that sounds very mundane. But something nice under my cereal bowl is a fine thing in the morning. I do love to live with things that are well-crafted. The Japanese and the Arts and Crafts movement really had the right idea: to live well with beautiful objects. So much more integrated than Western art wherein an object is art only if it does not have a functional purpose.

Usually my quilts take 4-6 months to piece and two years to hand quilt. So placemats really are a cheap thrill/instant gratification. They are like fabric "sketches".

After Christmas I'll post pictures of the placemat presents. Here's some more beauties from Houston:

"Globe Thistle"
Pat Bishop


"Red Deco"
Jan Hutchinson
- This was so beautiful in person. The photo doesn't do it justice.



"Symphony of Twigs" - detail
Fusako Takido
Shimizuku Shizuokashi, Shizuoka Ken
- wow notice how that top, left flower looks very dimensional.



"Symphony of Twigs"
Fusako Takido
Shimizuku Shizuokashi, Shizuoka Ken

Comments

Popular Posts