A Walk in the Park

A walk in South Park, that is. We start the day with warm from the oven scones at Rebecca's Coffeehouse. They are crunchy outside and warm and moist on the inside. In the morning someone is constantly baking these delicacies: mixed berry, pear with walnuts, banana nut, the list is endless. They are served with homemade (I think) strawberry jam. (They are nothing like the hockey pucks served at Star*****.)

After scones we walk through San Diego's neighborhood of South Park. It's home to some of the cutest bungalows. I could not afford a South Park bungalow when I was home buying. So we walk and enjoy. We even saw a bungalow featured in the American Bungalow magazine.

Love the detailing added to this ordinary garage to make it more "craftsman".


What a garden gate. That jasmine does well in San Diego and is fragrant.


Porch heaven. Note there's a rain chain.


Here's a close-up of the rain chain.
We love to look at these craftsman bugalows to get ideas for our house. We're not going to "remuddle" our house and try to turn it into a craftsman. It's a nice post WWII stucco ranch. We want to honor the integrity of the house as it is. However, beautiful detailing that is within the style of our house will make it better. We love the book "Inside the Not So Big House" by Sarah Susanka and Marc Vassallo. Living simply in a well crafted "not so big" house. That's the plan.

Comments

Lynn Douglass said…
Thank you for visitin my blog. It gave me the link back to yours, and I've enjoyed strolling through it. Having lost both parents to cancer, I can't begin to tell you how much the nurses meant to my family. You are a Godsend. :-) If you get to Road to California in January, I hope you'll stop by and introduce yourself.
Thanks for your kind words, Lynn. I'm sorry you've lost your parents to cancer. It's a privelege to care for cancer patients and their families. I also have lost many loved ones to cancer. This career is dedicated to my grandmother Mary Francis Fromhold who I lost to lung cancer.

Popular Posts